Children’s long-term education could be affected by a short pandemic break, according to a new Oxford University report.
Jishnu Das and his co-authors say the long-term research they conducted by tracking the progress of pupils in the aftermath of a 2005 earthquake in Pakistan may hold important lessons for post-coronavirus teaching.
The study found that on average, earthquake-affected children's test scores put them 1.5 to 2 years behind their peers in unaffected regions. On top of this, school closures accounted for only 10 percent of learning losses with the other 90 percent of losses occurring once pupils had returned to class.
The long-term impact for the children could lead to them having a 15 percent lower salary income as an adult.
🔴 Subscribe to CGTN Europe Youtube channel for all the latest on Business, Technology, Environment and Current Affairs
🔴 Follow CGTN Europe on social media 👇🏼